Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Blonde Moment

Have you ever had a "blonde moment"? Having had a few today, I think its kind of funny that they call it a blonde moment. Why not a brunette moment? or a redhead moment? I know redheads and brunettes who are ditzy. And where did that word come from anyway? Ditzy. Is it even a word?

Being a blonde (or at least one who refuses to let her darker roots take over as she gets older), I resent the blonde moment. I mean, I'm smart, or like to think I am. I have a college degree from a fine university in Western PA (back me up on this Berk) and a job title that say I'm smart...or at least suggest I could be.

So why is it that I can't I walk and chew gum at the same time? Why is it when I return to my office from getting a soda for myself and a coworker, I go to the wrong entrance of my office because I was reading the label on my Diet Dr. Pepper? (Oh yes, this blonde reads.) Why do my heels constantly get stuck in the little cracks of the sidewalks, so much so that I walk right out of them? Why do I trip while walking across a flat surface? Why do I sit at my desk with headphones on, but no music playing? Why do I head out in my car, start to think about something and end up somewhere I had no intention of going? Is it just because I'm blonde? Maybe its because I make fun of people for wearing the wrong outfit, or the wrong shoes, or because they look funny. Could this be God or some other higher power getting back at me? "You just made fun of that girl, now you must trip over nothing." Hmmm...

I personally like to think that I have so much going on in my brain that sometimes the motor-skills and other rational brain functions take a back seat to everything else. Yeah, that's it...sounds good anyway.

I guess I'd rather have them be blonde moments than "senior" moments.

10 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Heck if I know. I have my own share of "blonde moments" and my hair's kind of red. I'm feeling pretty stupid today, though. I just failed the foreign service oral assessment. Definitely not my brightest achievement.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger MMH said...

At least you passed the written part...that says a lot!!! I'd get lost on the way to TAKE the test!

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger MMH said...

I spell blonde with an "e" and you don't. That's what makes us different. Among other things. Not an incorrect spelling...just alternative.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Do you think that "blonde moment" precedes Marilyn Monroe? She did market on her platinum locks and ditzy demeanor.

Dictionary.com even lists it:
Definition: an instance of acting dumb or scatterbrained; momentary forgetfulness or ditziness
Example: Britney Spears was having another blonde moment.
Etymology: from the stereotype that blondes have less than average intelligence

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger MMH said...

Damn, I'm sorry I posted.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger John Berkoski said...

Everyone talks about dumb blondes, but the other day I met a nice smart blonde. She was a golden retriever.

Biologists have discovered a new owl species called the Blonde Owl. Instead of saying "whoo, whoo", the Blonde Owl says "whaaaaaaaaaat?".

One time I hit on this cute blonde in a bar. I went up to her and said "Penny for your thoughts?". She gave me change.

Please don't forget to tip your bartender.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

People tell me I must be a blonde. It's OK, don't worry about it - we all have our moments, blonde or not!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger animus said...

a sounding good blonde! wanna have dinner tomorrow?

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger what about buckley said...

This guy was dating a blonde and said, "hey, honey come out here and stand behind the car and tell me if the hazard lights work." She stood behind the car and said, "Now they work. Now they don't. Now they work. Now they don't. Now they work...."

I will be here all week. Try the veal, it's delicious.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger John Berkoski said...

Thanks to my buddy RK for this timely tidbit. Not sure if he reads this blog (guessing not since he hasn't hazed me about it yet), but this showed up in my inbox tonight...

BlondeStar , a spoof of the GM OnStar commercials (but no doubt similar incidents have happened in real life).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home