Thursday, September 22, 2005

National Singles Week...its for real folks

Is anyone else bored at work today?

So my friend E tells me that her sister told her that this is National Singles Week and she was wondering what to do to celebrate....being sarcastic of course. At first I thought National Singles Week was a way to call attention to singles and mock us for not yet having found that special someone to share our lives with. (I personally have many special someones, I call them my friends. Go ahead, get out the Kleenex. sniff sniff) I didn't even know this "special" week existed as it fails to appear on any calendar that I own. I figured some asshole made this up and the next thing you know Hallmark will have an entire collection dedicated to it.

Much to my surprise, there is an organization called Unmarried America and they have a website with some interesting (some could say depressing) facts, such as:

Singleness: 95.7 million Number of unmarried and single Americans. This group comprises 43 percent of all U.S. residents age 15 and over.

54%: Percentage of unmarried and single Americans who are women.

50%: Percentage of adults in New York who are unmarried, the highest rate of any state.

86: Number of unmarried men age 15 and over for every 100 unmarried women in the United States.

118: Number of unmarried men for every 100 unmarried women in Paradise, Nev., an unincorporated suburb of Las Vegas. This is one of the highest ratios of any place with 100,000 or more people. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Tempe, Ariz.; and Sunnyvale and Santa Ana, Calif., follow.

114: Number of unmarried men for every 100 unmarried women in Alaska, the highest ratio of men to women among all states.

So I say to you all....what better way to celebrate our singledom than to drink ourselves silly at Blocktoberfest this Saturday!!! Damn the man, save the Empire! er, um I mean F the marrieds!!! ....and after that my friends, I'm off to Paradise, as in Nevada, or maybe Alaska??

If you want to see more fun facts, go to http://www.unmarriedamerica.org/usaweek/census-release.htm

3 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger MMH said...

Amen my friend. Category 6 on the AB scale, here we come!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Woo hoo for Blocktoberfest! Will try to make Andalu tonight as well (in honor of the ongoing singledom and all). God bless us everyone.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger writergurl said...

Take heart, there's not really ALL those single people. I'm (fairly) sure that they are including gay people in that "single" calcuation. After all, it's not like we are allowed to marry... well, except for Mass but it's unlikely they would have seperated that state of gay people for this site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home